EW PRODUCT IN THE EXCEL LINE
SEAS designed and manufactured its first coaxial drivers more than 20 years ago. Early on, R&D engineer Bjørn Børja recognized the unique possibilities created by the the new neodymium magnet technologies; allowing us to design a high performance tweeter in a very compact package. SEAS has continuously refined coaxial driver technology over the years, and today remains the only
loudspeaker driver manufacturer to make this unique technology available to the OEM and hobbyist markets.
Never standing still, the R&D lab recently decided to see what could be accomplished by applying our state of the art Excel technology to a coaxial drive unit. The answer can be found in our new Excel C16 N001/F, and the results are amazing. Coaxial drive units are complex and challenging products. The Excel C16N001/F meets those challenges with the following features:
• Uniform sound radiation without the usual cancellation of off-axis response found in noncoincident systems.
• A woofer built on our new 16 cm chassis with enhanced radiating area and with excursion capabilities equal to that of our W18E001. The result is a single, compact driver capable of reproducing the full frequency range with impressive dynamics and very low distortion.
• An excellent sound stage and pinpoint imaging that bring out the best in high quality recordings.
• Our exclusive die-cast and machined magnesium cone that is both light and rigid.
• Our exclusive dual chamber neodymium tweeter mated to our own textile dome, designed and manufactured in-house.
A major advantage of coaxial drive units is their ability to be mounted in compact enclosures that can be placed horizontally or vertically, with no impact on acoustical performance. Additionally, the excellent bass performance of the C16N001/F makes it easy to mate to a high quality subwoofer, such
as the one we will soon introduce.
To evaluate the performance of the C16N001/F, we have designed a complete system including crossover and cabinet, and performed extensive listening tests. We feel the sound quality of this system is very impressive, to say the least. We will, in the near future, post an application note presenting our suggestions for cabinet volume and crossover design.
Precision cast, machined and surface treated magnesium cone acts as a piston through the audible frequency band without any sign of midrange resonances.A unique radial reinforced rubber surround reduces resonances and prevents sur-round break up at large excursions.Heavy copper rings mounted above and below the T-shaped pole piece reduce non linear and modulation distortion and increase overload margin.The coaxially arranged precoated fabric dome high frequency unit has a low reso-nance frequency, and integrates with the cone driver to form a point source.The extremely stiff and stable injection moulded metal basket keeps the critical com-ponents in perfect alignment. Large windows in the basket both above and below the spider reduce sound refl ec-tion, air fl ow noise and cavity resonances to a minimum.
Imp. (Zn/ohm) 4,000
Music (W) 220,000
Nominal (W) 80,000
Korb Material Aluminium0,000
Außendurchmesser (mm) 146,000
Einbaulochmaß (mm) 126,000
Einbautiefe (mm) 81,000